What is the ZFF Master Class?
The ZFF Master Class is a 5-day intensive programme, designed for directors, scriptwriters or producers, being at the beginning of their career, organised within the framework of the Zurich Film Festival in Switzerland. In the context of the programme the selected participants get the chance to meet and learn from the film industry's most notable experts.
Who is behind the ZFF Master Class?
As mentioned above, the ZFF Master Class is organised within the framework of the Zurich Film Festival. Cooperation partners of the ZFF Master Class are SRF, Telepool and JTI. It is supported by Ernst Gönner Stiftung, Migros Kulturprozent, Stadt Zürich and Kanton Zürich. Find more information about Zurich Film Festival here.
When and where does the Master Class take place?
The ZFF Master Class takes place from October 02 to 06, 2019 in Zurich, Switzerland during the Zurich Film Festival (September 26 to October 6, 2019).
What is included in the Master Class participation?
The participation in the Workshop includes:
- Participation in the ZFF MASTER CLASS from October 2 until October 6, 2019.
- Industry accreditation for the 15th Zurich Film Festival.
- First-class accommodation in the vibrant city center.
- Breakfast, selected lunches and dinners.
- Invitations to numerous events including the glamorous Award Night Afterparty.
What does the specific content of the program look like?
The programme is refined and adapted each year to the selected participants.
How to apply?
Application is done in two mandatory steps:
- Send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org: Letter of Motivation, Curriculum Vitae, a complete Work Sample of your most significant oeuvre.
- Complete the Application form online.
Who can apply?
In general, everybody is welcome to submit his/her application irrespective of age, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, as long as he/she meets the following requirements:
- Is an aspiring director, scriptwriter or producer in the first 10 years of his/her professional career in the audiovisual industry.
- Is fluent in English. You'll find the precise eligibility requirements under this link:
Is there an age limitation?
We kindly invite every filmmaker in the beginning of his career irrespective of age to submit us his/her application.
Can I apply as a DoP or Editor?
At the moment the ZFF Master Class isn’t open to DoP or Editors. This may change in future.
How many participants are selected for ZFF Master Class?
Approx. 20 applicants are selected to participate at ZFF Master Class. This number offers excellent working conditions and enables participants to work and learn in an intimate atmosphere.
How long will it take to hear back from us after you submit your application?
We acknowledge receipt of all applications by email pretty much straight away. All applicants will get a positive or negative answer of participation by approximately mid-august.
If you have been unsuccessful in a previous application, can you apply again?
Yes, you can.
What are the important points regarding your motivation letter?
Explain clearly why you are applying right now, at which point in your career you are at the moment and to what extend the ZFF Master Class could help you to move a step forward.
Focusing on the following questions may help:
- Who are you?
- Why is "right now" a perfect moment to participate in the ZFF Master Class?
- What are you working on currently and what are your plans for the nearer futher?
- What do you expect from the ZFF Master Class?
- What are you passionate about in film making?
Please remember not to exceed the 2000 characters and be personal. We don’t expect you to write a novel.
Which Work Sample should I submit?
Paricipants should choose one complete film of their oeuvre. We expect participants to submit the one that represents them best. This need not necessarily be your most recent work. Scriptwriters may additionally submit an exctract of a script or a treatment.
Can I send more than one Work Sample?
We ask you to send us only one full Work Sample. Feel free to include links in your filmography to other oeuvres though.
As a Scriptwriter, does it make a difference for selection procedure if I send you a treatment or script?
You can send either an extract of a script or a treatment.
When is the deadline for submission?
We need to have your complete application by August 7, 2018.
Does my Work Sample need subtitles?
If your movie isn't in English or German, we kindly ask you to put English subtitles on.
What happens with my submitted Work Sample?
Zurich Film Festival guarantees that the work sample is for preview purposes within the selection process only. It will be treated confidentially and not passed along to third parties.
Who to address if there are still open questions?
For any further question please contact: email@example.com